Musings on God’s Word
I read an article this week that asked the question. What is a Church? Apparently this is a common question asked of Missionaries. I can see why. If you have never seen or heard of a “Church” it would certainly be a logical question. We, of course, believe, and rightly so, that the church is the Christians that meet together or in reality every Born again Christian is part of the world wide “Church”.
When we consider our local Brae Road Gospel Chapel I see this title doing three things.
- Where are we located?
- What do we exist for?
- What is a “chapel”.
Let me try and answer those things in simple terms.
The first one is easy. We are located at 321 Brae Road in Duncan. A street that is only one block long and is, at the highest point within the boundary of Duncan. Therefore our location is important.
Matthew 5 :14 -16 we see the following description.
- Ye are the light of the world. A city (chapel) that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
- Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
- Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven.
So we can see our location in Duncan is very important. We should be the light shining out over the community of Duncan and indeed the entire Cowichan Valley proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ to one and all.
The third word in our church’s name is Gospel. Our responsibility and indeed the command is to go into all the world and preach the Gospel.
Matthew 24:14-15 reminds us of the need to preach the Gospel
- And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations and then the end will come.
- So we have a timeline. Known only to God and not to us but it behooves us to preach the gospel diligently as Jesus’ return is near.
Matthew 28:19-20 tells us
- Go Therefore and make disciples of all the nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
- teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen
Lastly we call ourselves a chapel. The Oxford dictionary describes a chapel as a “small building for Christian worship”. That is what we are! a gathering of Christians, “The Church” meeting in our chapel each Sunday as well as other days of the week to worship, study, pray and fellowship with our primary goal to spread the message of Salvation wherever and whenever we can.
There are many things that a church is not! The church however, is present when a fellowship of believers intentionally joins together under the preaching of the Word, the proper administration of the Ordinances (Baptism and the Lord’s Supper) and standards of membership or discipline, with qualified elders to lead and deacons to serve.
When: Sunday June 11, 2023
09:00 am Breaking of Bread
10:15 am Fellowship Time
11:00 am Family Bible Hour
Speaker: Daniel Webster (our Missionary serving in Ghana, Africa)
Parking lot is finished.
- There are curb stops being placed in each parking spot which will clearly indicate the parking spots.
- There will not be any painted lines for a year or so till the material has fully settled and solidified.
- The spots will be bigger than the minimum allowed but smaller than a handicap spot.
- There will also be some slight tire indents as the material continues to settle.
- Also, if you rotate your steering wheel while stopped it will cause some disturbance in the surface by the tire.
- The contractor will be returning to deal with any imperfections and disturbances in the future.
Other ideas to consider:
- What to do about the front weedy lawn. Replace? With what?
- Your ideas are welcome.
The center space of the front wall of the Chapel Sanctuary.
- Does it need something? A cross? an appropriate scene?
- Your ideas are welcome.
God’s Richest Blessing on you allJACK PEAKE