Musings on God’s Word
24/7? What does that mean? From what I understand it refers to being available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Hospital services, emergency services, some businesses and even some people. So that means if you’re available 24/7 whatever you do you must display or act in a specific way all the time.
I was thinking about that situation when it comes to our Christianity. Do we act or show our Christianity 24/7, or are we Sunday Christians or whenever it suits, in other words a part time Christian. None of us knows each other well enough to make that judgement but our Lord and Savior Does. So let’s see what a 24/7 Christian looks like.
A Christian should be both patient and slow to anger.
Ecclesiastes 7: 8-9
- The end of a thing is better than its beginning, and the PATIENT in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.
- Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry, For anger rests in the bosom of fools.
Here we see that in all things and under all circumstances we need to show patience. In our fast paced world that is sometimes difficult. I like the old adage that we count to 10 before expressing any feelings. That goes for anger too. As drivers in this day and age I’m sure, like me, you have been frustrated by the driving skills or lack of from other drivers. Remember our Christian witness is to remain patient and refrain from anger 24/7.
Charity is also a sign of a true Christian.
- He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord. And He will pay back what he has given.
That is also how we treat others in our own Christian circles will clearly show our Christianity. If we still work for a living it is important how we do our job and treat our fellow employees and customers as well as respect for those we work for.
- Exhort servants (employees) to be obedient to their own masters (employers) to be well pleasing in all things, not answering back.
- not pilfering, but showing all good fidelity, that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in all things.
We must avoid jealousy
James 3:16 -18, lists all the attributes of a Christian.
- For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil will be there
- But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, with partiality and without hypocrisy.
- Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
So we see that for a Christian 24/7 covers a lot of behavior but if our Christianity is true then all these things will fall into place naturally.
Oops I forgot! We’re still human beings and our human frailties sometimes get in the way of our Christian witness and behavior. Let us pray for the strength and character to remain 24/7 Christians in this world.
Matthew 5: 16
- Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5: 14 describes us
- as the light of the world.
So you can see your 24/7 mandate is clear and concise. Let’s pray we can be those 24/7 Christians Jesus expects us to be.
When: Sunday June 4, 2023
09:00 am Breaking of Bread (2nd offering will be for Duncan Christian School)
10:15 am Fellowship Time
11:00 am Family Bible Hour
Speaker: Clayton Dougan “Rest in Turmoil”
Note: scripture 1 Peter 5:6-11
- The week of June 5th to 9th will be a bit unsettled.
- The contractor hopes to begin work on the back parking lot on June 5th depending on when his other jobs get finished.
- That means our meetings, (mens and ladies fellowship) that the week could be disturbed.
- I will know more this weekend and we can adjust things to suit “on the fly”.
Looking forward to seeing you allJACK PEAKE